1) High nutritional value – containing abundant high carbohydrate, proteins, amino acids, vitamins B, C, calcium, phosphorus, iron, tartaric acid, adenine, etc.
2) Strengthen Your Bones - A study published in 2013 in "Maturitas" reported that postmenopausal women who had lower levels of minerals such as copper were significantly more likely to develop osteoporosis as they age. Adults should consume about 900 micrograms of copper each day, and 3.5 ounces of fresh longans supplies over 19 percent of this recommendation. Dried longans are an even better source. A 3.5-ounce serving of dried longans has 807 micrograms of the mineral, almost 90 percent of the RDA.
3) Prevent Eye Problems - Riboflavin is an important vitamin that's part of the B complex. Men need 1.3 milligrams of this vitamin each day, while women should have 1.1 milligrams. According to an "Archives of Ophthalmology" study published in 2005, not consuming adequate riboflavin could increase your risk of eye disorders, particularly cataracts. Raw longans contain 0.14 milligram of riboflavin in each 3.5-ounce serving, but dried longans have 0.5 milligram per serving. Eating 3.5 ounces of dried longans supplies 38 percent of the daily riboflavin requirement for men and 45 percent of the RDA for women.
4) Fill Up on Iron - Vegans and strict vegetarians are more likely to become deficient in iron than those who eat meat. That's because the iron supplied by plant foods is not absorbed as easily as iron from animal-based products. Pregnant women, endurance athletes and teen girls may also need more iron than other groups. Dried longans can help increase your iron intake, with each 3.5-ounce serving containing around 5 milligrams, or about 62 percent of a man's daily requirement and nearly 28 percent of a woman's.
5) Anti Aging - It contains an active anti-aging ingredient. And this ingredient can inhibit the activity of flavin protease – monoamine oxidase type B (MAO-B), which is deemed to be something that makes people age. This discovery confirmed an old claim made by China’s first pharmacy monograph “Shen Nong’s Herbal Classic” – longan could help weight loss and keep people young.
6) Boost Your Vitamin C - People with diets rich in vitamin C may be less likely to develop high blood pressure, heart disease, age-related macular degeneration and certain types of cancer. Raw longan is an excellent source of vitamin C: 84 milligrams in approximately 3.5 ounces. This amount supplies 93 percent of a man's recommended daily intake of vitamin C, which is 90 milligrams, and over 100 percent of a woman's 75-milligram daily requirement.
Root of Wild American Ginseng (Other Name: 泡参, Pao Sheng and Panax quinquefolis )
American Ginseng is one of the most popular herbal supplements in the US and in China, perhaps most well known for its traditional use of boosting memory and energy levels. However, it has many other uses. For starters, ginseng is considered an adaptogen, which means it helps your body to withstand mental and physical stress.
The Root of Wild American Ginseng are often sold for very high price. In Singapore, you can get good quality old root wild American Ginseng at around $250 / 两 （37.5g) in normal medical halls, it will be more expensive in branded TCM shops in the malls (Remember that you are paying for their high rental cost for the same item). The medicinal properties are much better for wild ginseng compared to farmed ginseng and the older the better.
American ginseng is also used for low iron in the blood (anemia), diabetes, insulin resistance related to HIV treatments, cancer-related fatigue, high blood pressure, trouble sleeping (insomnia), nerve pain, erectile dysfunction (ED), fever, hangover symptoms, attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), blood and bleeding disorders, breast cancer, dizziness, headaches, convulsions, fibromyalgia, “hardening of the arteries” (atherosclerosis), memory loss, rheumatoid arthritis, schizophrenia, improving athletic performance, improving mental performance, as an anti-aging aid, menopausal symptoms, complications during pregnancy or childbirth, and for nervous exhaustion (neurasthenia).
1) Improve Memory - American ginseng was found to improve working memory and mood in both young individuals and middle-age adults.
2) Prevent Cancer - American ginseng has anti-cancer properties that appear to suppress tumor growth. It has shown particular promise in treating colorectal cancer.
3) Aids in Diabetes - American ginseng appears to have anti-diabetic properties. In one animal study, extract of American ginseng root lead to weight loss and lower blood sugar levels in mice with type 2 diabetes. It's also been shown to increase insulin sensitivity in healthy individuals.
4) Immune System Function - American ginseng has also been found to stimulate the immune system, helping your body fight off infections and disease.
5) Cold and Flu - Older adults who took an extract of American ginseng had a 48 percent reduction in relative risk, and a 55 percent reduction in duration, of respiratory illness.
6) ADHD - A combination of American ginseng and ginkgo biloba may improve symptoms of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in children and teens.
Instructions on brewing this lovely Tea
I guessed most of us are convinced by the health benefits of this tea right now, I will go into the brewing part.
1) As Red Dates are abit heaty in nature, I will recommend to remove the seeds of the red dates before brewing, this will reduce the heatiness of the dates.
2) This tea is naturally sweet by itself, so don't add anymore sugar and those with diabetic issues should consult your doctor before drinking it.
3) I normally brewed it before I sleep,so both of my parents can drink it in the morning when they wake up.
My Recommendations for 2-3 pax
10 Red Dates (Remove the seeds)
10 Dry Longan
1 handful of Ningxia Chinese wolfberries
A pinch of Old Wild American Ginseng Root (immunity booster!)
I will wash the herbs 1-2 times before putting into my 1 litre Tiger hot flask and add boiling water to it. It's so simple and if you are drinking it alone, just halve the amount of the herbs will do. You can also do it the traditional way and boil it, but the lazy way works just as fine. After my parents drank the tea in the morning, I will add more boiling water to it so that they can drink another cup or 2 when they are back from work. My personal observation was they are more energetic and they don't fall sick as often compared to before.
You can also choose to use only Red Dates and Chinese Wolfberries only. Hope you will enjoy your cup of tea as much as I do!